East Side Seed Exchange & Harvest Festival!
Coming Together: Creating Fertility
La’akea Permaculture Community Meadow Space, Puna (see below for directions)
9:30am – 2:30pm
Saturday, October 4th, 2014, 9:30am – 3:00pm
Bring your favorite dishes using only locally grown food for the 2nd Annual 100% LOCAL FOOD COOK OFF AND POTLUCK!! Optional competition for best savory and sweet dish
Bring Seeds AND Plant Cuttings and Bare Roots (Please Check for Fire Ants)
o Exchange and give away localized plant material (bringing not required)
o Hear a panel on Creating Fertility (Cover Cropping, Seed Selection, Natural Farming, Regenerative Harvesting, Use of Manures)
o Listen to an Update on Seed Saving Across the State
o Enter the Local Cook Off!
o Try new taste delights at the Local Food Potluck!
o Meet your neighbors, other gardeners & innovative thinkers. This event is free
Seed Sharing Protocol:
1. Do not share seeds of invasive species! If you are not sure you can go to https://plants.usda.gov/java/noxious?rptType=State&statefips=15
2. Do not share brassica seeds as spread of blackrot can happen, it is a seed-borne disease and many of the seed companies are having a problem with this.
3. Do not share old seeds as germination may be zero, low and disappointing.
4. label or bring a description of each of the seeds you share including date of harvest.
5. Bring your own seed envelopes or baggies and markers for labeling.
6. Do not bring seeds and put them on another seed-sharers table unless you have a very good description of the seeds/date and crop and permission of the person at the table.
Set up open at 8:45 am (bring your own tables and chairs, and scrap paper for small packets for seeds)
9:00 Sharing Circle for those who brought seeds/plant material
9:30 Opening Circle
9:40 Plant Material Swap for all
10:30 Panel Presentation
12:30 Noon 100% Local Food Contest
12:45 Local Food Potluck (bring your own plates, utensils, etc)
1:30 Tour of La’akea and hopefully marimba music!
To enter the local foods cooking competition please bring your entry by 10:30am and contact Tracy@permaculture-hawaii.com
Location: Laakea Community. Go south on the HWY past Pahoa, past Leilani, turn right on Alaili just past the 14 mile marker, follow the signs to veer right up our driveway. Carpool!