[Laakea-events] La'akea Events - June, July

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Mon Jun 6 13:15:50 HST 2011

*Upcoming Events at La'akea Community for June and July*
*
Advanced Registration Required for all the classes listed below.*

**************************
June 18th, 9:00am - 4:00pm
*A Huna Perspective on Living Sustainably*
The ancients had many principles and skills to help them create harmony
and balance in their environment.  Understanding our relationship with
the plants, animals, land and each other is an essential part of
sustainability.  Come join us as we explore these ancient and modern
skills that put us into a more powerful position to take care of the
land and ourselves.

La'akea Community, between mile markers 14 & 15 on Hwy 130 just past
Pahoa, Puna

Contact:  Tracy via tracy at pemaculture-hawaii.com or (808) 443-4076

Extra Information:  Stewart Blackburn will be our instructor.  A
delicious, local lunch is included.

Cost: $55/day

***************************

6/15 - 7/13
*Summer Internship *-Participants will enjoy 16 workshops, half focused
on permaculture and the other half on communication/interpersonal
skills. This is in addition to daily participation in community life and
immersion in permaculture modalities.  The fee for the month is $675.

***************************

*Permaculture-*
Thursdays, from 2:30-4:30pm, meet at the Main House
$20/class or advanced work trade Contact:  Tracy Matfin
<tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com> 443-4076, for more information
6/16 - Connections: Permaculture Concepts to Increase Ease and Joy.
This class is a general introduction to permaculture; ethics,
principles, sectors and zones.
6/23 - Creating Harmony: The Design Process.  Come learn a simple cycle
and hear personal accounts of using the design process.
6/30 - Health Thanks to the Land: Local Herbal Medicinals.  Learn about
healthy tonics and specific plants for tropical ailments.
7/7 - Healthy Soils = Healthy Plants and People.  This class includes
the study and use of Indigenous Micro-Organisms.

Mondays, from 9:30-4:30, meet at the Main House
These classes are designed as Hands on the Land Learning Environments.
Bring work gloves if you have them and wear sturdy shoes and clothes you
do not mind getting dirty!
$20/class includes your lunch, or free if you bring your own lunch.
Contact:  Tracy Matfin <tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com> 443-4076, for
more information
6/20 - Tropical Edible Landscaping.  Learn about creating guilds using
permaculture principles.
6/27 - Animals, Including Us! In Permculture Systems.  This class
explores the roles of animals, including their manures.  We have
experience with sheep, chickens, rabbits, & humans.
7/4 - Water and Health.  Learn some basic plant pathology and discuss
water utilization.
7/11 - Hands on Healthy Soils.  Sheet mulching, orchard maintenance,
compost teas and more ways to use Indigenous Micro-Organisms.

****************************

6/21, 6/28, 7/5, 7/12
Tuesdays 2-5pm : Main House
*Wholistic Peer Support Training*
- Explore how emotions and thinking effect each other, how to give good
attention, how emotions get stored and can be released, how to maintain
good psychic boundaries, learn basic meditation of various types,
grounding, and centering. Cost: $15- $25 sliding scale/session. Intro is
free if you do not take the whole class.  Part trade possible.Returning
students 1/2 priceContact: Molly Miller <modatree at yahoo.com> 968-7141,
for more information

****************************

6/22, 6/29, 7/6, 7/13
Wednesdays 2:15- 4:30pm : Main House
*Social Permaculture Classes*
Community Living Skills
-Our goal of creating and maintaining sustainable living systems
requires, co creating, and working together to utilize everyone's
talents.  In this process many of us receive the gift of looking at our
shadow sides which cause conflict in ourselves and with others.
Feelings such as greed, envy, pride, anger, deceit and fear can arise.
These classes focus on understanding ourselves, taking responsibility
for our feelings and communicating openly with truth.  We will utilize
Marshal Rosenberg's Non violent communication method. Cost: $20, advance
work trade possible.  Contact:  Tracy Matfin
<tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com> 443-4076, for more information