[Laakea-events] Criminal penalties for non-permitted buildings

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Mon Sep 19 20:52:57 HST 2011

Aloha Friends,  Please forward!

ACT now to avoid criminal penalties for non-permitted buildings, and
those built without following the standard code!  Testimony due by
Sept 20th, Tuesday at noon!

How many people do you know living in a tarp roofed shelter, or a
little ohana that they never bothered to get permitted?  These folks
could face arrest and criminal charges if Bill 270 passes.

Now is a good time to send testimony supporting our proposal for a
future alternative Rural low density building code.

HAWAII COUNTY Council is meeting Wednesday 21st to vote on Bill 270,
the controversial update of existing Code.

Here's what we and our supporters can do   (if you wish to send this
off to your local e-mail list)

1.  Attend the Council meeting and give testimony in person at 9:00
am, Sept 21, at the Council Chambers at the County Building, 25
Aupuni Street, next to the State Building in HIlo.

2.  Submit "
<mailto:counciltestimony at co.hawaii.hi.us>counciltestimony at co.hawaii.hi.us
"  and or written
testimony hand delivered to clerks office.

Submit all testimony  by 12:00 noon Sept 20th.

The two most important issues that our testimony on this Bill needs
to request are:-

1. The inclusion of an amendment stating  "adoption of this
regulation does not limit or prevent the adoption of alternative
codes and building regulations  by Hawaii County, nor does it require
a future amendment to this bill."

2. Removal of the section 5-48-5 on Page 17 that changes infractions
from a civil to a criminal offense.

Council contact info:

Telephone - 961-8225 - select the Council Member you want to talk to.
Leave a message and also ask to talk directly with the Council Member.

Email - dyagong, apilago, fblas, bford, phoffman, dikeda, donishi,
bsmart and jyoshimoto, @<http://co.hawaii.hi.us/>co.hawaii.hi.us.
For example Angel Pilago -
<mailto:apilago at co.hawaii.hi.us>apilago at co.hawaii.hi.us

Mahalo,