[Laakea-events] La'akea Calendar & News Aug.

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Mon Jul 29 11:42:43 HST 2013

    Help Us Keep Geothermal Out of Puna!

Stop New Unregulated Geothermal! Keep Hawaii Clean and Green!
Everyone who lives in Puna, on the Big Island of Hawaii, is in danger of
losing their quiet rural lifestyle, land values and healthy environment.
Watch the 7 minute movie!
<http://sustainable-hawaii.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cd601ed992dce793cce4c873&id=33783a5029&e=2fdf101c59>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4zsR4DCzg
Sign the new petition to HELCO!
http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/save-pohoiki-keep-puna
<http://sustainable-hawaii.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cd601ed992dce793cce4c873&id=14fc3a276a&e=2fdf101c59>

Local people please sign this, even if you signed one that looked
similar, because this one is directed to a different place.
Like and share us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/savepohoiki
<http://sustainable-hawaii.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cd601ed992dce793cce4c873&id=7f481380d2&e=2fdf101c59>
Do you have friends off island who would support this? Please help us
keep big industry away from our delicate ecosystem with this additional
petition for our worldwide friends.
Sign the petition now!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/356/536/045/save-pohoiki-keep-puna-clean-and-green
<http://sustainable-hawaii.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cd601ed992dce793cce4c873&id=b7fac5e93b&e=2fdf101c59>
HELCO is going to meet at the end of August to decide where more
geothermal industry is going to be built. There are many sites being
considered, in Puna, Kau and Kona.

Now is the time to let them know there are MANY of us here that don't
want any more industry here, before their plans get too far.
Get the latest updates by signing up for the Puna Pono newsletter
<http://sustainable-hawaii.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4cd601ed992dce793cce4c873&id=5464cf3ece&e=2fdf101c59>.
http://punapono.com/index.php/newsletter

    Calendar

*Beekeeping with Jenn*

Time: Sat. August 3rd,  Starts at 10am - ends at 4pm.
<http://www.paradisenectar.com/>
http://www.paradisenectar.com/, jen at paradisenectar.com
<mailto:jen at paradisenectar.com>, or skype 303-731-5667 or call 808.315.6553

LOCATION: At our jungle sanctuary located at the edge of the Nanawale
Forest Reserve.

*Our hives are cared for in Top Bar, foundation-less frame Langstroth,
and Warre style hives.

*We will be covering many aspects of beekeeping from swarming, regular
maintenance & inspections, hive designs, treatment-free pest control,
splitting colonies using their queen cells, hive products & uses, and
much more

*Please bring a potluck offering.

*The workshop is limited to fifteen people so please contact us to
reserve a space.

*The cost of the workshop is $50. Please bring protective wear, some
veils and helmets are available if needed.

A mead and honey sampling will follow the workshop till 4 pm.

*Community Permaculture Tour and Open House*
*La'akea Intentional Community, Pahoa*
August 14, 2013 @ 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM

Come join us for a morning introduction to our community lifestyle!
We are a committed group of people working together closely in
community, on our 24 acres organic permaculture farm. We integrate the
social aspects of sustainability into daily life: how to live together
with honesty, love and peace, and share power and leadership.  We do not
have one central leader, but instead share the cost of the land and the
leadership equally.
This is a great time to come meet our members, tour our land, ask
questions about community and get a peek into our daily life.

*9:30- 11:30 Permaculture Tour of Laakea with Tracy Matfin*
Take a fun and informative tour of our land, including our organic
gardens, alternative building methods, off grid solar system, animals
and orchards. Learn some basics of permaculture concepts and how we
apply them in action.

Tracy Matfin studied environmental science at U.C. Berkeley, and went on
to be a high school science teacher for a decade, her love of nature
coming out in her leading the hiking club on many weekend hikes and
restoration projects. She teaches permaculture at La'akea and in other
local venues. She is a member at La'akea.
*donation, suggested $5-15 if you can.* No one turned away.

*11:30- 12:30 Community Garden Work Party*- bring a raincoat in case of rain
Get your hands in the rich soil and ask questions about our gardening
techniques!

*1 pm Lunch Potluck*  - Please bring healthy organic food to share, or
donate $10 for a home cooked meal!  Register in advance if you are
buying a meal.
/call Amara for more info at 982-6755/ or reply to this email.
*Let us know if you are coming.*  Thanks!

*
Designing For Sustainability and Food Security
*Permaculture Design Course at La'akea Community
Two weekends/month: Oct 12-13 & 19-20, Nov 2-3 & 16-17, Dec 7-8 & 14-15,
2013

Acquire skills for local food security and create resilient home systems
Learn underlying whole systems ecological design processes and
techniques, tools and methodologies
Immerse yourself in a permaculture based interntional community
Weekend course meeting schedule for working island residents
On island instructors and presenters
Get professional support for your own design projects as part of the course
Develop relationships with island neighbors and established
organizations and professionals

Full course fee - $897
$75 early bird registration discount with full deposit by September 1st
$50 discount for two or more registering together with full deposit
discounts are not combinable

Registration and full details: http://permaculture-hawaii.com or contact
Tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com for more information.

    *GMOs**
    *

Please forward this message to all your off island friends who might
help us...

Diana Reeves says:
Today we are focusing on The Big Island of Hawaii and supporting their
Bill 79. This bill will KEEP GMOs off the island. This is the only
island that has NOT been overtaken by Monsanto et al. Please call, post
and email to let the tourism bureau know that they must support this
bill. Tell them you won't be visiting if it doesn't pass. Remember that
the time in Hawaii is 6 hours earlier than the east coast, and 3 hours
earlier than CA. Please show your support and take action! Thank you

Tell the Hawaii Big Island Visitors Bureau to show public support for
Bill 79. Do these 3 things before July 30:

Post on their FB: https://www.facebook.com/hawaiibigisland
Email them at: bigisland at hvcb.org
And Call Today: 800-648-2441
Big Island Visitors Bureau
The Big Island Visitors Bureau (BIVB) is a private, non-profit Island
Chapter of the Hawai'i Visitors and Convention Bureau (HVCB), which
originated in 1902 to encourage travel to the Hawaiian Islands.