[Laakea-events] East Side Seed Exchange and Local Foods Cook-Off 9/21 at La'akea

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Thu Aug 15 22:14:11 HST 2013

*East Side Seed Exchange &  Harvest Festival!*
*Saturday, September 21, 2013*
*9:00am - 2:00pm*

Bring your favorite dishes using only locally grown food
for the 2nd Annual 100% LOCAL FOOD COOK OFF AND POTLUCK!!
Optional competition for best savory and sweet dish - contact
Bring Seeds AND Plant Cuttings and Bare Roots (Please Check for Fire Ants)
o        Exchange and give away localized plant material (bringing not
required)
o        Hear a panel on Preparing & Preserving the Food We Grow
o        Enter the Local Cook Off!
o        Try new taste delights at the Local Food Potluck!
o        Meet your neighbors, other gardeners&  innovative thinkers.

This event is free

Schedule:
Set up open at 8:30 am
    (bring your own tables and chairs, and
    scrap paper for small packets for seeds)
Opening Circle 9:00
Plant Material Swap: 9:15
Panel Presentation: 10:00
100% Local Food Contest: 11:45
Local Food Potluck: 12:30 (bring your own plates, utensils, etc)
Music????

To enter the local foods cooking competition or to present your favorite
local food please contact Tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com
<mailto:Tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com>

Topics to be presented in the panel are:
Fermentation
Medicinals
Milk & Meat Products
Flours
Perennial Greens
*
* *Help!*
I am also looking for presenters and recipe contributers.  If you have a
favorite local recipe, that is 100% local, and you want to share it,
please email it to me and I will compile a booklet for folks attending
the seed exchange.  I will be asking for financial contributions to
cover the cost of the printing and I will happily give you the credit
for your contribution by attaching your name to the recipe if you want.
Please contact me, Tracy, for more information.

*Community Permaculture Tour and Open House*
*La'akea Intentional Community, Pahoa*
Sept 11, 2013 @ 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM

Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM

Come join us for a morning introduction to our community lifestyle!
We are a committed group of people working together closely in
community, on our 24 acres organic permaculture farm. We integrate the
social aspects of sustainability into daily life: how to live together
with honesty, love and peace, and share power and leadership.  We do not
have one central leader, but instead share the cost of the land and the
leadership equally.
This is a great time to come meet our members, tour our land, ask
questions about community and get a peek into our daily life.

*9:30- 11:30 Permaculture Tour of Laakea *
Take a fun and informative tour of our land, including our organic
gardens, alternative building methods, off grid solar system, animals
and orchards. Learn some basics of permaculture concepts and how we
apply them in action.
*donation, suggested $5-15 if you can.* No one turned away.

*11:30- 12:30 Community Garden Work Party*- bring a raincoat in case of rain
Get your hands in the rich soil and ask questions about our gardening
techniques!

*1 pm Lunch Potluck*  - Please bring healthy organic food to share, or
donate $10 for a home cooked meal! Register in advance if you are buying
a meal.
/call La'akea at 808-443-4076 or email tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com/.
*Let us know if you are coming.*  Thanks!

*Designing For Sustainability and Food Security
*Permaculture Design Course at La'akea Community
Two weekends/month: Oct 12-13 & 19-20, Nov 2-3 & 16-17, Dec 7-8 & 14-15,
2013

Acquire skills for local food security and create resilient home systems
Learn underlying whole systems ecological design processes and
techniques, tools and methodologies
Immerse yourself in a permaculture based intentional community
Weekend course meeting schedule for working island residents
On island instructors and presenters
Get professional support for your own design projects as part of the course
Develop relationships with island neighbors and established
organizations and professionals

Full course fee - $897
$75 early bird registration discount with full deposit by September 1st
$50 discount for two or more registering together with full deposit
discounts are not combinable

Registration and full details: http://permaculture-hawaii.com or contact
Tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com for more information.

*Permaculture Design Course at La'akea Community*

*Dates:* Jan 9, 2014 - Jan 22, 2014

A unique, exciting, and comprehensive permaculture design course!

* Two-week intensive Permaculture Design Course (PDC) format includes complete permaculture core curriculum.
* Live and learn in a land-based intentional community.
* Acquire skills to achieve food security and create sustainable home systems.
* Design for your property or community during the course, with professional support.
* Learn underlying whole systems ecological design processes and techniques, tools and methodologies.

*Cost:*
Full course fee - $1200 for full residential
$850 for commuter
See website for early bird discounts

*Sponsor:* La'akea Community

*Location : *La'akea Community, Ala'ili Rd. Pahoa, Puna
*Contact : *Registration and full details:
http://permaculture-hawaii.com or contact Tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com
<mailto:Tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com>

**