[Laakea-events] Seed Exchange Postponed by Pele and Keauohana forest work day

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Sat Sep 20 12:57:04 HST 2014

Aloha La'akea friends and family,

We have decided to postpone this year's seed exchange.  We do not have a
new date as of yet.  Our date was October 4th and many people's energy
(including our own) is being directed differently in preparation for the
potential highway closing.

Once things have settled down a bit we will notify you about a gathering
with more of a self-reliance focus.

In the meantime, if you want to come to Puna this month and get yourself
into some of the last standing low elevation Ohia forest for a
restoration party, here's the information:

*Keauohana Forest Day

*
*When: *Sunday, September 28th
9:30am and 4:30pm, Feel free to come and go as you like

*Where:* Parking is at the intersection of Pahoa-Kalapana Rd and Upper
Puna Rd, near Black Sands subdivision.  This is between mm 16 and 17 on
the 130 highway.  The trail into the forest is just across the highway
from the intersection. It is a small (not very visible) entrance into
the large wall of waiwi (there will be a ribbon)

*What: *This is an invaluable opportunity to share in a local community
project that has purpose and meaning, and to protect the largest and
most intact Lowland Native Forest remaining (below 1,000 feet) in the
State of Hawai'i. Keau'ohana Forest Reserve isa very unique habitat with
numerous native and rare plant species (including the endangered
Ha'iwale that is found nowhere outside of Puna).Although Keauohana is a
truly inspiring place, invasive species are threatening the forest. We
will spend the day helping out by making a dent in the weed infestations
and doing some outplanting of native plants. There is plenty hand
pulling to do.  Gloves, long plants, sturdy shoes, water and snacks are
recommended.  Useful tools include pruning saws, loppers and machetesand
this time, chainsaws. We will be mostly in the shade and there will be
mosquitoes.

Hurricane damages were moderate in the forest but there will be a need
for extra cleanup to be sure, as a good number of ohia and kopiko trees
have fallen throughout the forest, and more light enters the canopy due
to fallen branches and leaves as well. Some chain sawing support would
be very helpful at this time, but there are many things to be done to
help restore our lovely native forest community.

_Please_ sigh-in  at the canopy before entering the forest and write
down the number of hours you have volunteered on the way out. Keeping a
record of volunteer hours will help as in-kind support for future grant
opportunities. Read the attached waiver form when signing in as your
signature will also serve as a release of liability.

Please take care to avoid bringing weed seeds into the forest by
brushing off and spraying boots soles at entrance. There will be a boot
brush attached to a waiwi at the right side of entrance into the
forest, and a spray bottle to disinfect the soles of your boots from
undesirable fungus spores or contaminants. Please take a moment to help
each other keep the native forest as weed free as possible. This is of
utmost importance.

Mahalo Nui Loa!

*More informati**on:*
Jaya