[Laakea-events] upcoming events at La'akea in May and beyond

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Thu May 7 17:08:54 HST 2015

*/*
* /*
*Community **and ***Permaculture* Tour
atLa'akea Intentional Community, Pahoa*

Where:  La'akea Community, meet at Main House
When: *Saturday*,May 9th @ 9:30 am
Cost: Donation, suggested $5-15 if you can. No one turned away.
More Info: /call Tracy for more info at 443-4076/ or reply to this email.

community lifestyle!  Take a fun and informative tour of our land,
including our organic gardens, alternative building methods, off grid
solar system, animals and orchards.Learn some basics of permaculture
concepts and how we apply them in action.

We are a committed group of people working together closely in
community, on our 24 acres organic permaculture farm. We integrate the
social aspects of sustainability into daily life: how to live together
with honesty, love and peace, and share power and leadership.  We do not
have one central leader, but instead share the cost of the land and the
leadership equally.This is a great time to tour the landand ask
questions about community.

*Let us know if you are coming.*  Thanks!

*Bringing The Principles Home to Zone Zero*
/presented by Tracy Matfin

/
Where: Kalani EMAX - 12-6860 Kalapana-Kapoho Beach Rd.
When: **Saturday, May 16th 1-4pm* - Local vegetarian potluck to follow*
Cost: Free!More Info: /call Tracy for more info at 443-4076/ or reply to
this email.

The Modern Ahupua'a faces many challenges: property lines and ownership
to name a few.  To realize a modern Ahupua'a we will have to use
communication and connection to navigate through these new cultural norms.

This workshop will introduce you to zone zero and demonstrate the
effectiveness of using permaculture principles to develop and nurture
relationships between people. The presentation will share the
experiences of a well-established intentional community and get you up
out of your seat and started on making your own new experiences.

It will lighten your spirit and inspire you to use permaculture in your
social sphere as well as in your garden!  Laughter possible, smiles
guaranteed.

*Tracy Matfin* is an educator turned farmer, mother and permaculture
instructor.  She is a founding member of La'akea Community where she has
been living and experimenting with social permaculture & sustainability
for over ten years. Tracy grew up in the S.F. bay area, CA.  She studied
enviromental science at U.C. Berkeley.  She enjoys sharing her
experiences, sitting with trees, communing with the "weeds" she is
removing from the garden and laughing with her daughter, Aia'ala,
friends and family.

La'akea Community, founded in 2005, has been going strong for ten
years.  Located just outside of Pahoa, the community consists of twelve
adults and two kids.  The land is co-owned by all the members through an
LLC and decisions are made by consensus.  The community shares their
living experiment through tours and internship programs.
www.Permaculture-Hawaii.com
<http://sustainable-hawaii.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4cd601ed992dce793cce4c873&id=40544b6c45&e=2fdf101c59>

*
*
*Summer Internship
*"I came here to learn about growing things, and what I really learned
about was growing people." -- Emily '09

Where: La'akea Community

What:  Month long adventure
When: 6/1 - 6/29/2015
Cost: $750
More information:www.permaculture-hawaii.com
Contact: tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com
<mailto:tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com> 808-443-4076

Our internship program *increases the focus on learning beyond what you
would get as a farm supporter.  Participants will enjoy workshops on
permaculture and on communication, interpersonal and community living
skills. This is in addition to your daily participation in community
life and hands-on immersion in permaculture modalities.

*Interns* will be given tasks related to sustainable food/fiber
production (tropical fruit orchards, vegetable gardens, greenhouses,
animal systems, coconut tree climbing and harvesting, bamboo and other
timber crops, and local food preparation).

We have classes in non-violent communication, co-counseling and other
modalities that increase emotional awareness and provide tools for
relationships and community living. We are interested in sharing what we
know -- helping to educate through experiential learning.

"My experience at La'akea taught me not only how to survive off the
grid, but how to engage more with my peers for truly meaningful
relationships. I found it fascinating, enlightening, and very magical.
What a beautiful place and amazing group of people to have worked with.
I can't wait to come back."  Allie Hubert, Summer 2011