[Laakea-events] Annual Fundraising Letter for the kids!

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Fri Jul 22 16:49:03 HST 2016

Aloha La'akea Supporters!

It is time for our annual kids' fundraiser.....

We, the parents of Ai'ala and Kai'ea are reaching out to our larger
community, gathering support for their continued education. Can you
support us with a donation for the next school year?You may send checks
to La'akea Community at PO Box 1071, Pahoa, HI96778 or make a donation
through Paypal to laakea at permaculture-hawaii.com
<mailto:laakea at permaculture-hawaii.com>.

The Waldorf school year starts up again in just a month.We are full of
gratitude as we reflect back upon how inspirational, educational and
supportive the school is in our children's lives. Kai'ea and Ai'ala are
both thriving and maturing under the care of their teacher Karen Rose
Jenkins and the Malamalama Waldorf school. This would not have been
possible without the generous gifts towards their tuition these past
three years!

::Pictures:2016:2nd_3rd_classroom.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you to those who have supported us! It means
more than we could ever convey in a letter!

You would be impressed with their lovely volumes of art and school work
they have created this past year. It is a blessing to have them go to
this school where their creativity is cultivated and nurtured through
knitting, drawing, painting, singing, construction, gardening, music and
so much more.Here's them performing on their recorders with Kai'ea
leading the class. (That's why you only see the back of his red shirt.)

::Pictures:2016:2nd-3rd_recorders.jpg

This year they have both taken great leaps forward in their reading and
math skills. Both like to read and can read simple books on their own now.

We are grateful as both Ai'ala and Kai'ea feel seen and cared about in
this school. Their unique talents and characteristics are thoroughly
known by the staff. Kai'ea's special music talents are integrated into
school performances. Ai'ala's keen eye for crafts is nurtured in the
many creative endeavors each school day.

In May Biko and Tracy needed to go to the Kona side for a marimba
performance.For the first time they invited Ai'ala to miss two days of
school to go with them and camp on the beach.Most kids' dream.Ai'ala
didn't want to go.She said, "I don't want to miss handwork!".She
completed a crocheted doll this year.

::Pictures:Photo Booth:Photo 196.jpg

Kai'ea came racing home in May to announce "We passed!" at the
completion of their Shelters block.His group's outdoor structure
survived the bucket test -- when they were all seated inside no one got
wet when a 5 gallon bucket was poured on top.

::Pictures:2016:Kai_shelter.jpg::Pictures:Photo Booth:Photo 189.jpg

If you are able to contribute financially we would greatly appreciate
it. While the Waldorf school is wonderful, it is also over our budget.It
really does take a village to raise children.

"The heart of the Waldorf method is that education is an art - it must
speak to the child's experience. To educate the whole child, his heart
and will must be reached, as well as the mind." ~Rudolf Steiner

Sincerely,

Tracy, Biko and Aniko

La'akea Community

PS --For more pictures of the kids at La'akea friend us on Facebook --
Tracy Matfin, Biko Long, Aniko Willoughby and La'akea Community