[Laakea-events] May Events

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Wed May 3 13:08:55 HST 2017

*Community**Tour *
*atLa'akea Intentional Community, Pahoa*
Where:  La'akea Community, meet at Main House
When: *Saturday*, May 6th @ 9:30 am & May 20th @ 9:30 am
Cost:  Donation, suggested $5-15 if you can. No one turned away.
More Info: /call Aniko for more info at 214-4601/ or reply to this email.

of our members, to walk you around the land, including our organic
gardens, alternative building methods, off grid solar system, animals
and orchards.

We are a committed group of people working together closely in
community, on our 24 acre organic permaculture farm. We integrate the
social aspects of sustainability into daily life: how to live together
with honesty, love and peace, and share power and leadership.  We do not
have one central leader, but instead share the cost of the land and the
leadership equally. This is a great time to tour the land and ask
questions about community.

*Let us know if you are coming.* Thanks!*/call Aniko at 214-4601/*
La'akea Community,
13-3844 Ala'ili Rd.
Pahoa, Puna, Hawaii:
808-443-4076

Take Hwy 130 off of Hwy 11, near Kea'au, to Pahoa
Stay on hwy 130 past Pahoa
Just past mile marker 14, turn Rt onto Ala'ili Rd.
Go down Ala'ili Rd. about one mile, turn Rt into La'akea driveway.
Proceed past the "park here" sign to the "main house".
Park here and proceed on foot to the main house.

Malamalama Waldorf School
Spring Fair and Ho'ike

Where: 15-1834 Maku'u Dr. - Malamalama Waldorf School
When: *Sunday*,May 13th@ Noon - 5:30pm
Cost:  $10/Adult, $25/family pack (2 adults + 15 script), FREE entry for
kids
More Info: call (808) 982-7701, email info at hawaiiwaldorf.org or reply to
this email.

Malamalama Waldorf School is excited to announce it's third annual
Spring FUNdraising Fair and Ho'ike! Come enjoy community, fantastic
music and delicious food in a child-friendly atmosphere. By
participating you will be contributing to a precious Puna school.

The Malamalama Waldrof School is "a place where childhood wonder is
revered and children are free to grow, learn & shine in their light"
(John Pena, MWS parent). This loving, conscious environment nurtures
kids from preschool through eighth grade.

This event is one of the many ways that Malamalama reaches out to the
community to raise funds so that it can serve children from all
demographics. Visit www.hawaiiwaldorf.org
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hawaiiwaldorf.org%2F&h=CAQFm18GR&enc=AZMj0NBuStFyAoZxCenKvrjDQuYhfd0ZsObgERyI0rVV9MRnAaciSPbWI0e9-U1mWiA&s=1>
to learn more!

This spring concert will have FOUR GREAT BANDS!
Tiana Malone Jennings - Singer/songwriter
Drew Daniels - Singer/songwriter
R.I.T.A. (Roach in the Amp) - rock n' roll
Kunzwanana Marimba Band - uplifting music with roots in Zimbabwe

The event will open at noon with the 7/8th grade play - The Little Mermaid

There will be delicious food available for purchase, including hot
lunches with local ingredients and an assortment of yummy baked goods!

Fun activities and crafts for kids!

Get your tickets at www.brownpapertickets.com
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.malamalama.brownpapertickets.com%2F&h=UAQHO_GfY&enc=AZNHSAxG9hH8djOR1nnD0_No9LwpOmeKvgJsW2p1fJ8X3i83XY8iSCSRucAzi_r_B2E&s=1>
or come by the Malamalama Office on Maku'u and 27th!

_/*Summer Internship*/_*
*"I came here to learn about growing things, and what I really learned
about was growing people." -- Emily '09

Where: La'akea Community

What:  Month long adventure
When: July 3rd -July 30th, 2017
Cost: $750
More information:www.permaculture-hawaii.com
Contact: tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com
<mailto:tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com> 808-443-4076

Our internship program *increases the focus on learning beyond what you
would get as a farm supporter.  Participants will enjoy workshops on
permaculture and on communication, interpersonal and community living
skills. This is in addition to your daily participation in community
life and hands-on immersion in permaculture modalities.

*Interns* will be given tasks related to sustainable food/fiber
production (tropical fruit orchards, vegetable gardens, greenhouses,
animal systems, coconut tree climbing and harvesting, bamboo and other
timber crops, and local food preparation).

We have classes in non-violent communication, co-counseling and other
modalities that increase emotional awareness and provide tools for
relationships and community living. We are interested in sharing what we
know -- helping to educate through experiential learning.

"My experience at La'akea taught me not only how to survive off the
grid, but how to engage more with my peers for truly meaningful
relationships. I found it fascinating, enlightening, and very magical.
What a beautiful place and amazing group of people to have worked with.
I can't wait to come back."  Allie Hubert, Summer 2011