[Laakea-events] Agroforestry and Seed Exchange - this weekend! updates in bold

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Wed Apr 18 21:48:49 HST 2018

*Agroforestry and Wildcrafting Invasive Plants for Income and Local Economy
with Micheal Pilarski**
*
*When: 7pm 4/20/2018*
*Where: La'akea Main House
Fee: Free! - Donations Always Welcome
*

Come join us at La'akea this Friday for a slide presentation, Show and
Tell and Discussion with Michael Pilarski.  Bring some wild food plants
for show and tell, bring questions and be prepared to enjoy a slide
presentation on Agroforestry containing examples and images from six
continents: tropical, subtropical, and temperate - wet and dry -
different scales - and different cultures. The examples cover food
production, carbon sequestration and strengthening local economies.

Michael Pilarski has been studying tropical, subtropical and temperate
zone agroforestry since the mid 1970s. He is a professional wildcrafter
in the Pacific Northwest, mainland USA. He studies the role of
wildcrafting in cultures worldwide and teaches wildcrafting with a
special emphasis on sustainability, regenerative wildcrafting and
ecosystem restoration. He is the author of the /Ethnobotany and
Ethnoecology Resource Guide/, 1999, /Subtropical and Tropical Medicinal
Plants Checklist,/ 2001 and/Agroforestry Guide to Hawai`i//,/ 1997. He
has taught 5 permaculture design courses in the Hawaiian islands.

**All are welcome. Donations appreciated.

*****Bring a flashlight as there is no overhead light**ing in our
parking areas or along most of our paths.

&&&&& - Michael is looking for a ride from Puna to Ka'u on Saturday - a
great chance for some one on one conversation with him. He is happy to
contribute gas money.  Come to the presentation on Friday to connect or
email tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com.
*
_*Directions:*_

La'akea Community, Pahoa, Puna, Hawaii:
13-3844 Ala'ili Rd.
808-443-4076

Take Hwy 130 off of Hwy 11, near Kea'au, to Pahoa
Stay on hwy 130 past Pahoa
Just past mile marker 14, turn Rt onto Ala'ili Rd.
Go down Ala'ili Rd. about one mile, turn Rt into La'akea driveway. If
you are up for a walk park at the "park here" sign by the rainbow
eucalyptus.  If not, proceed to the "main house" sign and park there.
Proceed on foot to the Main House.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Hawaii Farmer's Union United - Puna Chapter
Seed Exchange*

*When: 11:30 am 4/21/2018*
*_Where: Hawaiian Sanctuary_
Fee: $10 free if you are a Hawaii Farmer's Union Member*

Contact : 800-309-8010

April 21st
10:30 am - 2:30 pm

image1.JPG

************************************************************************************************************************************************
*Community **and ***Permaculture* Tour
atLa'akea Intentional Community, Pahoa*

Where: La'akea Community, meet at Main House
When: *Saturday April 21st & May 5th*,@ 9:30 am
Cost: Donation, suggested $5-15 if you can. No one turned away.
More Info: /call Aniko for more info at 214-4601/

community lifestyle!  Take a fun and informative tour of our land with
Tracy, including our organic gardens, alternative building methods, off
grid solar system, animals and orchards.Learn some basics of
permaculture concepts and how we apply them in action.

We are a committed group of people working together closely in
community, on our 24 acres organic permaculture farm. We integrate the
social aspects of sustainability into daily life: how to live together
with honesty, love and peace, and share power and leadership.  We do not
have one central leader, but instead share the cost of the land and the
leadership equally.This is a great time to tour the landand ask
questions about community.

*Let us know if you are coming.*  Thanks!
/214-4601 or anikowat gmail.com/

************************************************************************************************************************************************

*New Culture Solstice Mini Camp*
<http://www.newculturehawaii.org/solsticeminicamp.htm>
*June 15-19, 2018*

*Join us for a wonderful long summer weekend at La'akea Community,*
*near Pahoa on the Big Island!*
*
*
*Choose the Weekend or 5 day Option!*
(Residential, or non-residential for locals)

/*with Amara Karuna, Tracy Matfin, Tim-I Weaver, Iolani Deva, and more!*/

*Experience wonderful days of emotionally intelligent, poly-friendly, *
*eco-sexy, open hearted, community minded New Culture!*
*
*
**Enjoy the closeness and sweet support of community*
**Join our community Forum sharings for emotional transparency*
*
*
**Bliss out at the Pampering Pleasure Ceremony*
**Learn the skills of pleasure, including nurturing, respectful touch*
*
*
**Time at the nearby ecstatic dance and warm pools,*
**Stay on our farm if you are from out of the area,*
**Savor the yummy organic meals!*

Join us in co-creating safe, nurturing, inspiring community, with a
focus on how we can be deeply connected with each other, with nature and
the world. This weekend is just before the summer solstice, when the
energy of the sun is at its height.  It is traditionally a time of
gathering and celebration.

New Culture people are dedicated to examining every aspect of our
existing cultures and experimenting to find out how to create a
world based on love and freedom, rather than fear and violence.
    The simple act of sharing loving touch is a deeply powerful practice
that most of us would like to have more often.  The intention for this
event is to create a warm, loving and safe space for exploring
sensuality, massage and relationship skills in an experiential way.

Come celebrate, be challenged, and enjoy yourself on the land and beach
as we share our talents, knowledge and hearts with each other.

*Now for the details:*

http://www.newculturehawaii.org/solsticeminicamp.htm

Weekend Only Camp begins of Friday evening 6/15 with dinner at 5:30 and
evening program,
and ends on Sunday afternoon June 17 after lunch with a journey to the
ocean/warm ponds.

Can you stay longer?  Join us for the 5 day version, that ends on June
19th after lunch!

No late arrivals, as we want to keep a safe container.
*Weekend camp:*
Cost for 2 day residential camp: $220-400 sliding scale, includes food
and lodging in tents, huts or dorms, for 2 nights and 2 days.
Kamaaina discounts available for local participants staying offsite.
Private cabins can be rented for an additional cost.

*Get the Early Discount Price of $185 by registering before May 1st for
the Weekend only!*
*
*
*5 Day camp:*
Cost for 4 nights, 5 day residential camp: $450-650 sliding scale,
includes food and lodging in tents, huts or dorms, for 4 nights and 5 days.
Kamaaina discounts available for local participants staying offsite.
Private cabins can be rented for an additional cost.

*Get the Early Discount Price of $420 by registering before May 1st for
the 5 Day Camp!*
*++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*
*
*

Register online for camp
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScT88LNZm7yWSFY8bBn7s1clNQPA9nCHE4tt2HUp7ttihfdvQ/viewform> now!

More info Tracy at tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com
<mailto:tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com> or call her at 808 443-4076
<tel:%28808%29%20443-4076>

La'akea Community is a small, family style, egalitarian, intentional
permaculture community on the big island of Hawai'i. Staying with us is
a vibrant immersion in our community lifestyle, and many visitors find
it transformative and life changing. We are a committed group of people
working together closely as a means to health, relationship vitality,
economic stability, personal and spiritual growth. We focus on the
social aspect of sustainability: how to live together with honesty,
love and peace, and share power and leadership.
See www.permaculture-hawaii.com <http://www.permaculture-hawaii.com>

---