[Laakea-events] Upcoming Events at La'akea

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Wed Dec 4 07:52:10 HST 2013

*Community Permaculture Tour**and Open House*
*Dec 6th 2013*
*La'akea Intentional Community, Pahoa*

Come join us for a morning introduction to our community lifestyle!

  We are a committed group of people working together closely in
community, on our 24 acres organic permaculture farm. We integrate the
social aspects of sustainability into daily life: how to live together
with honesty, love and peace, and share power and leadership.  We do not
have one central leader, but instead share the cost of the land and the
leadership equally.

   This is a great time to come meet our members, tour our land, ask
questions about community and get a peek into our daily life.
*9:30- 11:30Permaculture Tour of Laakea with Tracy Matfin*
Take a fun and informative tour of our land, including our organic
gardens, alternative building methods, off grid solar system, animals
and orchards. Learn some basics of permaculture concepts and how we
apply them in action.

Tracy Matfin studied environmental science at U.C. Berkeley, and went on
to be a high school science teacher for a decade, her love of nature
coming out in her leading the hiking club on many weekend hikes and
restoration projects. She teaches permaculture at La'akea and in other
local venues. She is a member at La'akea.
*donation, suggested $5-15 if you can.* No one turned away.

*11:30- 12:30 Community Garden Work Party*- bring a raincoat in case of rain
Get your hands in the rich soil and ask questions about our gardening
techniques!

*1 pm Lunch Potluck*  - Please bring healthy organic food to share, or
donate $10 for a home cooked meal!  Register in advance if you are
buying a meal.
*
*
/call Amara for more info at 982-6755/ or reply to this email.
*
*
*Let us know if you are coming.* Thanks!

/*Day Classes at La**'akea Community**:* Join us for one or more.$10
discount for each additional class you register for.24 hr. advance
registration required. Fee includes lunch!/

Dec. 7^th 9:30- 5:30 pm Social Permaculture, Invisible Structures $100

Green business, alternative finance, legal structures, "everything I
want to do is illegal" FIELD TRIP in the afternoon to Lyn & Geoff's farm
& Clive's farm.See a small scale family subsistence farm and learn about
soil building with Clive.

Dec. 8^th 9:30-12:30 Human Settlements $50

Historical patterns, urban permaculture, village design, community panel
with representatives from local communities in Puna.

Dec. 14^th 9:30-- 3:30Appropriate Technology $75

Natural building, home retrofitting.

*Designing For Sustainability and Food Security
*
Course dates: January 9th - 22nd

A unique, exciting, and comprehensive permaculture design course!

* Two-week intensive Permaculture Design Course (PDC) format includes complete permaculture core curriculum.
* Live and learn in a land-based intentional community.
* Acquire skills to achieve food security and create sustainable home systems.
* Design for your property or community during the course, with professional support.
* Learn underlying whole systems ecological design processes and techniques, tools and methodologies.

*Early Bird Registration by Nov 30th = $1047

*Regular registration = $*1197
*
Registration and full details:
http://permaculture-hawaii.com/residential/classes-trainings/winter-2014-permaculture-design-course/

*New Culture Hawaii Winter Camp
**Feb 11 - 16th*
/*"Social Permaculture- Changing Life Paradigms"*/

This camp will be an intensive personal growth experience held at
La'akea Community.
Join us in co-creating safe, nurturing, inspiring community! Come
celebrate, be challenged, and enjoy yourself on the land and beach as we
share our talents, knowledge and hearts with each other.
Our rich program will have a focus on a sustainable culture of
interconnections, including classes in Community Skills, Theater Games,
Non-Violent Communication practice, Heartbeat Nurturing Therapy, Tantra
Practices, as well as daily Forums, gender circles, Tantra Pujas and a
creativity sharing Cabaret night.

*For more information see_http://www.newculturehawaii.org_*

La'akea Community
/Intentional Permaculture Living in Hawaii/
/
/
/www.permaculture-hawaii.com/