[Laakea-events] Community governance, Songs of Aloha, and Permaculture!

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Mon Apr 8 03:22:35 HST 2019

Successful Strategies for Governing Bodies
at La'akea Community
Presented by John Schinnerer and Tracy Matfin
April 13th
9am - 4:30pm

Emotional Awareness and Sociocratic Approaches to Self-governance

How can we organize ourselves to get things done effectively and
collaboratively?

How do we optimize group intelligence to identify and realize shared
goals, while allowing for individual diversity and delegation of authority?

How do we do these things with awareness?

Enjoy an experiential introduction to values, principles and practices
of emotional sovereignty and sociocracy. The approaches presented are
relevant to all types of organizations. Allowing more attention to
emotional processes encourages deeper understanding and efficiency.
Sociocracy offers a practical, holistic approach to collective
decision-making, effective delegation, and getting things done - together!

This workshop will draw on participants’ own experiences, offering an
opportunity to engage directly with issues of collaborative leadership
and governance. We will introduce some meeting strategies used when
emotional tension is high. These strategies may help diffuse polarities,
increasing connection and forward movement. In sociocracy decisions are
made by consent. People organize around the real work of the
organization with feedback loops built in to enable individual and
collective self-leadership.

The morning focuses on creating emotional awareness and several
strategies to help individuals move through and beyond old emotional
patterns. The afternoon will explore how to use sociocratic structures
and processes in real-life contexts, to create and maintain high
engagement, clear decisions, and commitment to action.

$50 early bird registration before April 10th

$60 registration after April 10th

Contact Tracy at 808-443-4076 or tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com to
register: limited work trade available.

John is a whole systems design consultant, teacher, and facilitator who
develops cultural and ecological systems for a variety of public,
private, and nonprofit clients. Since 1996, he has studied, worked,
taught and published in the realms of human relatings, governance and
decision-making systems, appropriate technology and ecological design.
The methods, tools and techniques that John offers invite clients to
maximize clarity, honesty, and integrity while also enhancing individual
and group efficiency and effectiveness - in other words, to get things
done and have more fun!

Tracy Matfin is an educator, connections facilitator, permaculture
instructor and community consultant. She is a founding member of La’akea
Community, www.permaculture-hawaii.com
<http://www.permaculture-hawaii.com/?fbclid=IwAR0L3QDcfcdM9G81nbBUphIiJHuMGDJw-sjf7Plk9CA2AQDX-OEjd8ipABc>,
where she has been living and experimenting with sustainability for more
than fourteen years. Tracy practices what she teaches. She practices
non-violent communication, peer counseling, Huna (a form of Hawaiian
spirituality), couples counseling and group facilitation. When people
learn from Tracy, they tend to feel connected with themselves, the earth
and one-another--they feel good and have fun.

*

Singing Aloha
at La'akea Community
April 18 - 21

This song circle gathering will be held on the magical Big Island of
Hawai'i, on April 18-21, 2019 during the powerful weekend of Full Moon,
Earth Day, Easter, & 4/20! We gather in the tradition of Singing Alive
at La’akea (Sacred Light) Permaculture Community in Puna for 3 days & 4
nights of Singing Aloha. http://www.singingalive.org/singingaloha/
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.singingalive.org%2Fsingingaloha%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0XbBfuv4phUof6tBe7UM3j8-jOEweF9QtXpZIJc222ho-vKtRtdlvL8dg&h=AT2f-43brDAyGiiPRtbfXES40zu125tav85t_ux_eDfjZS8Lm4CmK8KASkvgrKfshGetjGpLZxnF4wUkTBNcrbvsrRZ78JSGKUeoJeu3DneWjROk4yV9niZtUZO5YwJN>

This is an event inspired by, and in supportive relationship with, the
Singing Alive community of sacred song circle enthusiasts. Though it is
hosted on the Singing Alive website, it is not officially a Singing
Alive event, rather it is a newly birthing, like the land that holds it,
adventure in communal singing.

Registration: Pre-Registration Only. There will be no passes sold at the
entrance.

The weekend is $150-$300 sliding scale per person and includes all
meals, camping, and song circles.

Registration check in and camping begins on Thursday afternoon after 3
p.m. Please supply your own meal for Thursday night & join the open song
circle around the fire that night. If you are unable to arrive for check
in on Thursday, please let us know. The first all camp meal will be
breakfast on Friday morning, followed by our Opening Ceremony. The
Closing Ceremony and last all camp meal and fire circle will be on
Sunday night. Please depart the land by 10 a.m. Monday morning.

    Permaculture Principles Tour
    <http://permaculture-hawaii.com/event/permaculture-principles-tour/>

April 27, 2019 @ 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM
La'akea Community
$20-$40 sliding scale
Contact:  Tracy Matfin 808-443-4076, tracy at permaculture-hawaii.com

Come join us for a tour with flare and focus! This tour will help you
understand permaculture principles and basic desin methodology by
looking applications here at La’akea Community.  We will look at
examples with ample time for questions and discussion this opportunity
is sure to increase your understanding of how to apply permaculture to
your own systems. Advance registration necessary. Please call or email
Tracy.

*
*

*
*
*Community**Tour *
*atLa'akea Intentional Community, Pahoa*
Where:  La'akea Community, meet at Main House
When: *Saturday*, May 4th @ 9:30 am
Cost:  Donation, suggested $5-15 if you can. No one turned away.
More Info: /call Aniko for more info at 214-4601/ or reply to this email.

of our members, to walk you around the land, including our organic
gardens, alternative building methods, off grid solar system, animals
and orchards.

We are a committed group of people working together closely in
community, on our 24 acre organic permaculture farm. We integrate the
social aspects of sustainability into daily life: how to live together
with honesty, love and peace, and share power and leadership.  We do not
have one central leader, but instead share the cost of the land and the
leadership equally. This is a great time to tour the land and ask
questions about community.

*Let us know if you are coming.* Thanks!

La'akea Community,
13-3844 Ala'ili Rd.
Pahoa, Puna, Hawaii:
808-443-4076

Take Hwy 130 off of Hwy 11, near Kea'au, to Pahoa
Stay on hwy 130 past Pahoa
Just past mile marker 14, turn Rt onto Ala'ili Rd.
Go down Ala'ili Rd. about one mile, turn Rt into La'akea driveway.
Proceed past the "park here" sign to the "main house".
Park here and proceed on foot to the main house.

---