[Laakea-events] Dancing in Paradise Retreat in January! + other events

La'akea Community Announcements laakea-events at permaculture-hawaii.com
Wed Nov 16 19:22:45 HST 2022

Jan 20-25th, 2023  Pahoa, Hawaii

Join us for

v Dances of Universal Peace

vKirtan and Sufi Zikr (singing)

v Breath and Walking Meditations

vEcstatic Dance and Yoga

     vGroup music making and Rumi Cafe talent sharing

v Healing Ritual and Spiritual Discussions

v Intentional Community Land Tour

v Visit a sacred volcanic warm pool and steam vents

https://dancesuphawaii.webs.com/ [1]

****************************

Dances of Universal Peace are easily learned, with gentle movements that
even "non-dancers" can greatly enjoy.  Singing sacred, ancient phrases
from many spiritual traditions creates a full body healing vibration,
and when conscious movement is added, these become powerful spiritual
practices.

Deepen into the Dances as a spiritual practice, with an emphasis on the
Hawaiian and earth based traditions. Each dance will be fully taught, no
experience is necessary. If you cannot dance, sit and sing!

Sharing hearts: Enjoy the company of those inclined to a spiritual path,
with deep discussion and connection

Relax: and really enjoy a renewing vacation in paradise, with time for
meditation, song and interfaith prayer.

Explore: the lush natural wonders of the actively volcanic Big Island of
Hawaii.  Enjoy a journey to a nearby warm pool one afternoon.

Experience: Land based intentional community life on an established
permaculture farm!

With

Sheikh Gayan Gregory Long
 Gayan is an acclaimed drummer, composer, leader of the Dances of
Universal Peace, spiritual mentor, retreat leader, and storyteller. He
has dedicated his life to awakening human potential through music,
devotional practices, pithy teachings, and community celebration. Gayan
is a direct disciple of Pir Shabda Kahn, the lead teacher of the Sufi
Ruhaniat International's school of western Sufism. He has shared the
Dances world wide and and led retreats with some of the foremost
spiritual leaders of our time.

Sheikha Amara Wahaba Karuna

Amara has been leading the Dances of Universal Peace since 1985 and has
been very involved in mentoring new Dance leaders.  She has been on
teaching staff for five Sufi Camps has led many weekend retreats, zikrs
and rituals which included the Dances.   She specializes in Dances from
the Goddess and Earth traditions, and leads with lively humor and
devotion.  She is a Sheikha (teacher) in the SRI lineage of Western
Sufism.  She also lives at the intentional community where we will be
dancing, and is one of the members there.

We welcome guest teachers!

The Site:

We will be staying at La'akea Permaculture Community near Leilani, south
of Pahoa on the Hilo side of the Big Island.  We have 25 acres of lush
rainforest land, including a small crater, and are located close to hot
steam vents, a lovely black sand beach, and the wonderful natural warm
ponds.

We will be providing wonderful organic meals, and everyone helps a
little with cooking and clean up.  We have a great indoor dance space,
and also a large outdoor covered space.  It is a rustic site, and very
lovely.

We are a 15 year old group that operates by consensus and shares
leadership equally, and emphasizes communication skills.  You will have
a great introduction our community lifestyle.

Dorm sleeping is not sound protected, it is on the upper floor of our
big farmhouse, or in a large quonset hut tent. Also there are many
peeping coqui frogs that sing most of the night, so earplugs are good if
you are sensitive.

We use composting toilets which are a little way from the house, and
have both indoor and outdoor showers. The bathing areas are clothing
optional.

COST:

Early Discount deadline: Pay in full by December 1st and save $50 on
full event tickets!

*Full Retreat Residential ticket: $700- 900 sliding scale, includes 3
great organic meals a day, and dorm or camping space, and all
programming.  Rides from the airport are $40 extra.

Because of rising costs of food and supplies, the cost of holding an
event is rising. We encourage you to pay what is comfortable on the
sliding scale. Let us know if you want a partial discount for work
trade.  If you are able to pay more, this can help us sponsor someone
else who needs a scholarship.

Kamaaina Prices (Off Site locals only, no early bird discounts):
*Offsite full event with meals: $500 (you stay somewhere else, but have
meals with us.)
*Offsite full event no meals: $400 (you stay somewhere else, and bring
your meals.)

Pay in full for these two offsite options for locals:
*Offsite Weekend Fri evening- Sunday before dinner, with meals:  $280
non-residential tickets including 6 meals
*Offsite Weekend Fri evening- Sunday before dinner, no meals: $200
non-residential tickets

(We are not set up for you to make your own food. No kitchen or food
storage space. You can bring a cooler if you like.)

There are no weekend residential tickets because of limited space.
No one day drop in tickets.

Housing:
*Rent a space in a cabin, we have several available at extra cost,
between $200 and $350 for the entire event.  Two people can share most
of them.
*Bring your own tent
*Rent one of our private tents, bed, bedding and tarp for an extra $100.

*Rent a private quonset hut (couples only) $200 extra

Covid Safety: No vaccination required.  Do not attend if you are ill or
if you have recently been with someone who is ill. Refrain from going to
public group activities for 5 days before the retreat.  Covid quick test
will probably be required at the door.  Most activities will be in a
covered outdoor space.  You may wear a mask if you wish.

TO REGISTER:

Apply here: https://forms.gle/eHwUyppTVRVX37i98

After confirmation, send in a $250 deposit before Dec 1st,

or pay in full by Dec 1st for an early bird $50 off full retreat
residential tickets.

Web site: https://dancesuphawaii.webs.com/

Deposit is refundable up to one month before the event until December
19th, less a $25 admin fee. After that we will refund you if we can fill
your spot, and half of the payment if we can't.

Final payment is due by January 1st 2023.

You can use Venmo, Credit cards or Checks.

Questions: 808-982 6755

email: amara at mindspring.com

Other Events:

Dances of Universal Peace

Join us for deep sweetness, heart healing, oneness....

When: Saturday, 12/17 at 3:00pm

Where: La'akea Meadow Space

Cost: by donation

Join us for some sweet spiritual renewal! Dances of Universal Peace
(Sufi dances) are easily learned spiritual folk dances from all
traditions, with gentle movements that even "non-dancers" can greatly
enjoy. Singing sacred, ancient phrases creates a full body healing
vibration, and when conscious movement is added, these become powerful
spiritual practices. Each dance will be fully taught, no experience is
necessary. These are interactive and participatory, not a performance.

Go down Alaili Road, off of Hwy 130, and turn right on the driveway with
our La'akea sign. then park in the first lot, and walk to the next right
hand side driveway, go right up to the meadow Space.

Please wash your hands before and after, and do not attend if you feel
ill or have been around someone ill, thanks!

Contact:

Amara Karuna

amara at mindspring.com

808 982 6755

Community Tour

Where: La'akea Community

When: December 3rd at 9:30am

Who: Aniko Willoughby; 808-214-4601

What: Tour La'akea Community

Cost:  Donation, suggested $10-20 if you can. No one turned away.

of our members, to walk you around the land, including our organic
gardens, alternative building methods, off grid solar system, animals
and orchards.

More Info: Text Aniko for more info at 808-214-4601  PLEASE RSVP

Links:
------
[1] https://dancesuphawaii.webs.com/