Please read the Live and Learn Here page first for our introductory information.
Farm Supporters live and eat with us as part of our community for the time they are here. They are encouraged to participate in community events and activities. Our belief at La’akea is that sustainability means not only permaculture and material self-sufficiency but also personal and emotional evolution via connection with others.
Farm Supporters will learn activities related to sustainable food production (tropical fruit orchards, vegetable gardens, greenhouses, animal systems, coconut tree climbing and harvesting, bamboo and other timber crops, and local food preparation).
Farm Supporters participate in on the land activities for a minimum of fourteen hours per week. Farm Supporters also assist with one meal a week, a weekly cleaning party and attend our weekly heart-share meetings. While we encourage Farm Supporters to create projects on their own, these endeavors are extra and not expected. We realize that free time and solitude are valuable uses of personal time.
Terms of the Farm Support Program
Please read our vision statement. If our vision resonates with you, you are open to the rain forest lifestyle, and can agree to the terms below, then fill out the Application form as honestly and completely as possible.
1) Farm Supporter tuition is $12/day ($360/month). Room and board are included as part of your participation.
2) You will be assigned a liaison—a member or trial-member—whose job is to orient and support you during your stay.
3) We offer and ask for a one-month commitment. You will meet with your liaison 1-2 weeks into your stay to determine if there is a good fit between you and the community. It is possible to extend your stay if both you and the members of the community share this desire. It is also possible that, if friction is great enough, the community may ask you to leave before the end of one month.
4) If you are arriving and departing from Hilo airport, we are happy to arrange a shuttle for you. The fee is $30 for each trip to cover our time and gas costs.
5) Everyone (members and farm supporters) contributes to the preparation and clean-up of one to two dinners/week. Breakfast and lunch you prepare for yourself. This is in addition to your participation in land activities for a minimum of fourteen hours per week.
6) Everyone participates in a regular cleaning task in addition to the requirements above.
7) Participants are encouraged to attend the weekly evening Heart-share meeting, in which people alternately share about their experiences and practice deep listening when others share.
8) We have wireless internet at La’akea which we provide to Farm Supporters at no charge. As we are on satellite with limited data, we ask residents to minimize large up/downloads and streaming.
9) The accommodations vary from a small cabin ($5/day) to a small screened Quonset hut to tarp-covered tent camping (huts and camping at no charge). We will know what is available as it gets closer to the time of your arrival. Prepare to camp with your own tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag.
For more detailed information on what life is like here for Farm Supporters, see Is Hosting Farm Supporters Worth It?
If you are ready to apply, go to our Farm Supporters application.